It just does not get any better than a meal on the grill! Summertime is the perfect time to gather family and friends, light up the grill, and have a tasty as well as inexpensive meal that you can enjoy in the great outdoors. There are so many ways to enjoy a great grilling experience while still staying on a budget, and it does not mean you need to resort to just grilling hot dogs!
Take a look below at twenty easy tips that will have you grilling for less this summer. You can enjoy a great meal, and still keep a little cash in your pocket for other fun summer activities!
20 Tips to Grill for Less:
1. Purchase meat when it is on sale.
If packaged well, you can easily freeze meat for several months. If you see a great deal, stock up and freeze.
2. Purchase bone in cuts. They will always cost less (and taste better) than boneless cuts.
3. Make your own marinades. There is no sense is spending $4 and up on bottled marinades. Instead add some olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion to a bowl and make your own.
4. Spice up the boring. If all you are making is hot dogs, you can still grill onions and peppers to add as a tasty and cheap topping.
5. Buy day old bread. Buy day old buns and toast them or grill them for flavor. You will never know they aren’t fresh.
6. Buy charcoal on sale and stock up. It does not go bad so don’t be worried about stuck with more than you can use.
7. Grill your desserts. Save money by not firing up the oven. You can easily grill peaches and other fruit items. Sprinkle with brown sugar and you have dessert!
8. Keep it clean. A simple $5.00 grill brush can keep your grill clean, working properly, and give you better tasting food. Invest in a good grill cover.
9. Shish-ka-bobs are the perfect frugal treat. On a skewer, you can use a smaller cuts of meat and load up on a inexpensive veggies. They are filling and tasty and you can get by with much less meat.
10. Come on corn! You can buy corn 10 for a dollar during the peak summer months. Soak your unhusked corn in water and grill to cook. It is so tasty and cheap!
11. Don’t preheat for too long. A few minutes is all you need to heat your grill up, wait any longer and you are wasting charcoal or gas.
12. Consider grilling fish. You can often find it on sale and all it needs is a little lemon, salt, and pepper and you are ready to go!
13. Behold the power of cheese. Inexpensive shredded cheese varieties can be bought for as little as $1.50 a bag. It is a great way to spice up burgers, hot dogs, brats, and more. Blue cheese crumbles are also a great way to jazz up steaks.
14. Make mustard your friend. A $1.00 bottle of Dijon mustard tastes lovely brushed over some bone in pork chops! It is also great for brats.
15. Keep your eyes peeled for coupons. Johnsonville and Oscar Meyer often offer coupons good for their meat and grilling products. Keep your eyes peeled and score these items for less.
16. Use your own produce. Nothing makes the grilling experience cheaper than growing your own veggies. If you have even a small patio, grow your own tomatoes and peppers to use on brats, burgers, and more.
17. Buy a bottle of basic All Seasoning. There is no need to have different seasonings for each kind of meat. All Seasoning is great for whatever meat item or even veggies you sprinkle it on, and can usually be purchased for around $2.00.
18. Buddy up with a butcher. They will cut your meat for you for free, and may be able to suggest less expensive cuts that still are fresh and tasty.
19. Turn off the grill with a few minutes of cook time to go. It will still retain the heat and cook the product, plus you are saving gas and charcoal.
20. Keep a bowl of lemons on hand. A fresh splash of lemon is not only cheap, it can bring out tons of flavor in your fish, veggies, pork and more.
As you can see, by following these tips you can easily save on your day to day grilling! Enjoy more flavor and food for less, and really get the chance to indulge in the grilling out experience. It seems as though the grilling season is so brief, so be sure to make note of these tips and make the most of it. Is your mouth watering yet? Get grilling!
Latest posts by Lolo (Posts)
- 25 Elf on the Shelf Ideas #ElfontheShelf - December 3, 2013
- Disney’s Frozen is this Holidays Must See Film #DisneyFrozen - December 2, 2013
- Delivery Man is Filled with Heartfelt Emotion #DeliveryMan - December 1, 2013