According to Wikipedia, the definition of Earth Day is “a day early each year on which events are held worldwide to increase awareness and appreciation of the Earth’s natural environment.” Earth Day, started in 1970, and is celebrated nationally and in over 175 countries world wide. Do you celebrate Earth Day in your home?
My family and I love to celebrate our mother earth not only on Earth Day, but everyday. Each step we make in our home to become a greener family means we are doing that much more to reduce our carbon footprint. Cox Communications, my local cable company, wanted a way to reduce their carbon footprint as well so they started Cox Conserves in 2007.
Launched in 2007, Cox Conserves is the company’s national sustainability program that is designed to reduce Cox Enterprises’ carbon footprint by 20 percent. Cox Conserves seeks to reduce Cox Enterprises’ energy consumption by embracing alternative energy, conserving natural resources and inspiring eco-friendly behavior. The program engages each of the company’s major subsidiaries (Cox Communications, Manheim, Cox Media Group and AutoTrader.com) and encourages Cox Enterprises’ more than 50,000 employees and their families to engage in eco-friendly practices. For more information, visit: http://www.coxconserves.com/
How does Cox Conserves make a difference right here in Las Vegas?
How does Cox Conserves make a difference nationally?
Alternative Energy – Cox actively identifies opportunities to harness solar energy and employ fuel cell technology, annually preventing more than 17,400 tons of greenhouse gases from entering the environment through its alternative energy projects.
Energy Conservation- Across Cox Enterprises, programs are in place to conserve energy, including producing alternative energy, constructing eco-friendly buildings, greening the company fleet, conserving resources and recycling materials.
Waste Management- Cox Enterprises employs a holistic approach to waste management including waste reduction, strategic partnerships for e-waste and customer engagement.
Water Conservation- Cox’s water conservation efforts save more than 20 million gallons of water annually and return high-quality reusable water to the community.
How can you celebrate Earth Day everyday? 5 Tips for a Green Home!
- Reduce your junk mail stream by joining a no-send list. This is where my family is listed.
- Use compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. They use 2/3 less energy than standard incandescent light bulbs and last up to 10 times longer. If every household in the U.S. replaced one light bulb with a CFL, it would prevent enough pollution equal to taking more than 800,000 cars off the road for an entire year. This was one of the first things we did when we moved into a new home.
- Buy bulk items. A family of four can save $2,000/year in the supermarket by choosing large sizes instead of individual serving sizes. This also reduces production of plastic wrappers and boxes. We love shopping our local super store.
- Avoid using non-native plants that may be invasive in your area. We have desert landscaping to help reduce our use of water.
- Skip pre-packaged items for school lunches and cut up your own cheese, meats and veggies to cut down on wasteful packaging.
Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”
~ Kenyan proverb
Disclosure: This post was written on behalf of Cox Communications. All my thoughts and opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Lolo (Posts)
- Summer Infant 3D lite Stroller Tour Stops in Vegas | Giveaway #3DliteStrollerTour - July 4, 2014
- Disney Planes: Fire & Rescue Educational Printable - July 2, 2014
- 4th of July Coloring Pages: Free Printables - July 2, 2014