During my trip to the Kenmore Blogger Summit last month I got to meet Chef Suzy Singh from the 2nd season of MasterChef. She shared with us some great slow cooker tips and an amazing recipe for Kitchari. Chef Suzy Singh also gave us tips for our slow cooker challenge. I will share more on that in another post! So without further ado, here is Chef Suzy Singh’s slow cooker tips and Kitchari Recipe.
Slow Cooker Tip:
- To clean your slow cooker first wipe it with distilled vinegar and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then clean it with hot sudsy water.
- If you set a slow cooker on low it will take 2 times as long to cook something then when it is on high.
- When cooking meat in your slow cooker if it is cooked on low for 8 hours, the meat will slice, if cooked for 10 hours it will shred.
- The temperature range in you slow cooker is 160F on warm and 200F on high.
- If you are using regular rice, put it in your slow cooker at the beginning of your cook time. If you are using 30 minute rice, add it during the last 2 hours.
- Try not to add too much water when using a slow cooker. The steam from your meal will make enough juice.
- Do not stir your meal. Taking the lid off of your slow cooker will release all of the valuable steam and flavors. Just fix it and forget it!
Kitchari Slow Cooker Recipe:
2 tsp of mustard oil
1 onion chopped
1 plum tomato diced (use heirloom)
2 c. yellow split peas (or Mug Dal)
1 T of garlic ginger paste or an entire smashed garlic clove
2 c. rice
4 c. water
2 T fennel, cumin, corriandor and cinnamon
1 T tumeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
Serrano pepper to taste
Put all of your ingredients in your Kenmore Slow Cooker, stir gently and cook on low for 8 hours. Suzy recommends serving with plain yogurt, pickled carrots, and cilantro.
Watch Chef Suzy Singh make the dish!
Stay tuned because this week I am going to be sharing with you the Kenmore Blogger Summit slow cooker challenge!
Disclosure: I received an all expense paid trip to Chicago for the Kenmore Blogger Summit. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Lauren Elise (Posts)
- You’re The Bomb Valentine Bath Bombs and Printable - January 22, 2015
- LucasFilm’s Strange Magic Activity Sheets for Kids - January 20, 2015
- 24 Freezer Recipes for Busy Moms - January 13, 2015