This post is part of the SPLENDA® 365 SWEET SWAPS ™ blogger program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC. and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
Spring is almost here, that means its time to shed those sweaters for cute sundresses. I am also hoping to shed some pounds too by getting fit and eating healthier. An easy way to cut those calories is to swap out ingredients for lighter options. I still have a sweet tooth so I decided to recreate a family favorite recipe and swap out the added sugar for SPLENDA® Sweetener. Here is our Lightened Up Strawberry Pie with Homemade Whipped Cream recipe!
Lightened Up Strawberry Pie with Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 pre-made pie crust- I used vanilla wafer crumb crust or you can use shortbread crust
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries; ½ cut tops leaving flat, ½ for puree
- 1 c Splenda No Calorie Sweetener
- 2 T cornstarch
- 2 drops of red food coloring
- 1 egg
- Make an egg wash and brush on your crust. Put the crust in the oven until brown. About 5-7 minutes.
- After turning the lid of the pie crust upside down, place strawberries cut side down to fill the lid. Set aside.
- Using remaining strawberries purée in food processor or blender.
- In a medium saucepan boil the purée with Splenda, cornstarch and red food coloring.
- Continue to boil until clear and thick. Cool slightly.
- Fill the bottom of pie crust with purée mix. Then carefully place whole strawberries from the lid into thickened puree mix. It will be hot!
- Cool thoroughly.
- Serve with whipped cream.
For the Strawberry Pie recipe I replaced 1 cup of sugar for 1 cup of Splenda No Calorie Sweetener. Doing this helped me reduce added sugar and calories.
Splenda No Calorie Sweetener works best when making:
- Cheese Cake
- Fruit fillings
- Fruit Pies
- Quick Breads
If you are making baked goods like cookies and cakes, SPLENDA Sugar Blend and Brown Sugar Blend is typically preferred.
Homemade Whipped Cream
To top off a Strawberry Pie you gotta have whipped cream, so I made my own using Splenda No Calorie Sweetener instead of sugar. Delicious!
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- 2 T of Splenda
- Put the Splenda and whipping cream into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk until it is light and fluffy.
- Serve on your Strawberry Pie. Delicious!
Most of us underestimate the amount of sugar we eat because the sweet stuff is hiding in some of our favorite foods and beverages, like vanilla lattes, fruit flavored yogurt, salad dressing and cereal. Once we realize where the sugar is hiding, we can come up with ways to eliminate the excess sugar from our diets! Visit 365SweetSwaps.com for more tips and recipes to help you save calories from added sugar all year long!
Latest posts by Lauren Elise (Posts)
- Pampers and Walmart Give Back to Children’s Miracle Network | $25 Walmart Giveaway - July 5, 2015
- 4th of July Coloring Pages: Free Printables - June 29, 2015
- How to Draw Anger from Inside Out| From Script to Screen - June 16, 2015