We live near a wonderful family farm that opens their fields to the community twice a year. Fields are open in the fall to pick pumpkins and then again in early summer to pick strawberries. It’s a special little gem that focuses on family. They have corn mazes, face painting, chickens, hay rides and the best jam and ciders! I was thrilled to take Sweet Pea there this week to see how she felt about being back on the farm. I was pleasantly surprised that my purse wearing girly girl got right in there and helped us pick and carry the berries. We picked 5lbs of berries most of which were smaller than your store bought variety. But let me tell you good things do come in small packages. These virtually purple strawberries are so delicious and sweet! With them being button- sized I decided in lieu of making an entire regular sized pie to make these minis.
Mini Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 1 box of 12 Sweet tart shells*
- 2 cups fresh strawberries; cut tops leaving flat
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 drops food coloring
- * I used Clearbrook Farms large dessert-sized sweet tart shells 3.15" shells
- Lay tart shells on tray and arrange as many strawberries as needed to fill each shell. About ½c. Set aside. Using remaining strawberries purée in food processor or blender. In a medium saucepan boil the purée with sugar, cornstarch and red food coloring. Continue to boil until clear and thick. Cool slightly. Carefully remove strawberries from each tart shell and fill bottom of shell with purée mix. Readd strawberries and cool thoroughly. Serve with a dollop or 2 of whipped cream!
Find a Pick-Your-Own farm near you at pickyourown.org.
Latest posts by Chickie (Posts)
- Butterfly Snack Bags and Craft - April 17, 2014
- Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe - April 2, 2014
- Kitchen Club Kids | End of the Rainbow Fruit Salad - March 24, 2014