Not too long ago I was able with a group of others to help give back to my community through an art installation in a local park. We worked together to paint large metal trash cans into beautiful works of art. Each can was transformed from a boring metal cylinder into something that the park goers and community are proud of. The children that go to the park especially love these paintings because the images on them are cheerful, colorful, and bright, just like them. I was extremely proud to take part in this project, and love knowing that our art continues to bring joy to the community.
Every day people are taking small steps to create big change in communities all over the country. Recently I heard about some of these extraordinary individuals who are such an inspiration. Learn more about these Change Makers by visiting Meet Real Changemakers.
• Mama Hill, who started a home learning center for youth living in South Central Los Angeles
• Alabama Chanin, who helped to revive her small town by starting a home-sewn apparel line that attracted the attention of some of today’s biggest fashion labels
• Malik Yakini, who started an urban farm in Detroit when his community hit a downturn
• Ruth Lande Shuman, an architect/designer who is putting her skills to use in reimagining New York City classrooms with color
Want to find out how you can create change in your community? The Community Action Pack features digital tools that you can use online to spark action in your community.
Here are 4 activities to check out:
1. Take the Changemaker Quiz to determine what type of changemaker you are (featured in the toolkit in the Compass section – Story of Stuff’s Changemaker Quiz)
2. Find a volunteer opportunity no matter where you live or how much time you have (featured in the toolkit in the Map section – All for Good)
3. Share stories of how you’ve used the toolkit for a chance to be featured in the TakePart Changemakers series
4. Share this toolkit with your friends
How would you like to or how have you already created change in your community?
DISCLOSURE: THIS ARTICLE IS SPONSORED BY Linqia who asked me to share my changemaker story.
Latest posts by Lauren Elise (Posts)
- The Stork OTC Home Device Helps those Trying to Conceive - May 19, 2015
- Fun Facts and Images from the Walt Disney Family Museum - May 18, 2015
- Creating the Layouts and Lighting for Inside Out - May 12, 2015