Still feeling the chill of winter I’m continuing to crave all my favorite comfort foods. Unfortunately, the reality is swimsuit season is just around the corner so I decided to lighten up my favorite comfort food. My stuffed pepper recipe is filling and an explosion of vegetables so I decided to create a delicious stuffed pepper soup mirroring the flavors but giving it a springtime makeover.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 diced onion
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 med/large green peppers
- ⅔ carrots chopped
- 2 small Yukon potatoes chopped
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 28oz can of water (use diced tomato can)
- 1 16oz can chicken broth
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- ⅛ cup ketchup
- ⅛ cup BBQ sauce
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked rice (wild rice)
- Brown ground beef and toss drained beef into soup pot.
- Using the left over fat from meat add garlic and onion to pan and cook until translucent. (Because I used such a lean beef there wasn't much fat so I used some of the diced tomato juice to keep from sticking.) After both are translucent scrape the pan into the soup pot.
- Next add a bit more diced tomato juice to the pan and add diced green peppers. Cook off a bit- I like mine crisp so I didn't cook them all that long. They still had the bright green color before adding to soup mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients to pot.
- Simmer on medium with a lid for 30mins.
- Cook rice separately and add rice to each bowl when serving. Otherwise the rice will soak up your soup and create more of a mush. Feel free to use any type of rice. I used wild rice for more flavor.
Latest posts by Chickie (Posts)
- Butterfly Snack Bags and Craft - April 17, 2014
- Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe - April 2, 2014
- Kitchen Club Kids | End of the Rainbow Fruit Salad - March 24, 2014